Thursday, December 31, 2009

Ain't No Resolving This


From the Truth Hurts Department, I present an old musician’s saying about New Year’s Eve: If you don’t have a gig on New Year’s Eve, you’re not a very good musician, but if you’re a bass player and don’t have a gig on New Year’s Eve, you suck. The good news, I guess, is I’m not a bass player. Other than that, I can’t think of much to celebrate tonight. I don’t have a gig and it’s been a horseshit year, not just for me but for lots of people. Fuck 2009.

Anyway, all whining aside, New Year’s Eve is Party Amateur Night, much in the same way that St. Patrick’s Day is, and as all of us former professionals know, Party Amateur Night is always ugly. So I’m staying home tonight and kicking back and ignoring the world and perhaps spending a few hours playing piano for my dog. She’s a kind, sober, thoughtful listener. Or something like that.

On a brighter note – at least in my view – Mag’s Sentence has been miraculously updating on a daily basis for more than a month now. This will be the 33rd post, a number that has a nifty ring to it, and the plan is to continue with daily updates till my fingers fall off or till I finally convince myself nobody will ever give a shit about either what I have to say or how I choose to say it. Meantime, I make no promises about what direction I’m going to take with this, other than that I don’t want it to keep moving in any one direction for too long. For instance, how can this thing be called Mag’s Sentence and we haven’t heard one mention of sentences yet? And what’s the deal with Barbies? About the only thing I’m pretty sure will remain a steady component of Mag’s Sentence is cycling, because I expect I’m going to keep on pedaling. I make no other predictions.

Oh well. Have a nice time tonight, my friends. Here’s wishing you a great 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to find you again. Sitting at work looking at some old favorites (lummox.org) and linked here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike: Happy New Year to you too.

    2010 will be a great year. I can feel it.

    A friend just gave be a wonderful book about the fixed gear bike culture. The bikes are beautiful. I think there might be something in those pages for you. Check it out at your local book shop.

    FIXED, by Andrew Edwards and Max Leonard

    And remember: A Kite Rises Against The Wind

    ReplyDelete

Mag reserves the right to delete your comment. In other words, if you want to start up shit with Mag, send him an email.